Principal Engagement Leader
Please note that we do not review applications sent through Indeed or Glassdoor. Application instructions can be found at the end of this description.
ABOUT BAD RABBIT
Bad Rabbit, Inc. is a team of experienced professionals who work together to identify, understand, and develop solutions to our clients’ software needs. We work within the academic and medical research sector, and help to maintain and develop tools to assist research institutions deal with administration, compliance, research finance, and regulation. Some of our clients include The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Arizona State University, Penn State, and Seattle Children’s Research Institute.
You are an experienced software development and implementation Engagement Leader with a track record of delivering high-quality technical consulting projects – on time and on budget. But that’s not all! You are driven to go above and beyond, to learn everything there is to know in order to make the most effective decisions for our customers and team. You are a skilled coach and know how to motivate the people on your team, while balancing the constraints of the time, budget, and technologies on the projects you oversee. In a nutshell, you are a natural leader who knows enough about software to understand client needs and what is possible, and you have the communication skills to positively and expertly manage the needs and expectations of both the client and development team. The perfect blend for this position will be someone who is equally adept at analysis and task management, who thoroughly understands the specific realities and possibilities of the software development process, and who is always striving to learn and help the organization to iteratively improve based on lessons learned. You are able to braid your talent for business analysis with your management consulting skills for results that both impress our clients and set them at ease. Under your care, neither clients nor the development team will lack clarity regarding progress or priority. Your presence really matters to our small team, and the impact of your positive work is profound.
Proven working experience as a software development / implementation project manager, running technical teams in a services or consulting setting.
Track record shipping completed software projects.
Solid understanding and hands-on experience utilizing multiple software development methodologies such as Agile and Waterfall.
Excellent client-facing consulting skills, with a proactive, curious approach. You know how to interact in ambiguous situations in which you may not have all the answers, and to effectively guide both the customer and the development team to confidently provide them with what they need to succeed.
Excellent internal communication skills, including ability to lead presentations.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including proposal and presentation writing skills and professional-level correspondence.
Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills; able to juggle multiple priorities and switching of context as required.
Ability to lead outside specific process framework
Ability to take initiative in doing the right thing
Ability to average 40 hours of work per week.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
Multiple years of consulting experience.
Multiple years of experience working with Enterprise customers.
Some background or direct experience with coding/development – major bonus for ability to dive into some development work as needed.
(Note that, while we’d love to see these attributes on an application, we don’t want to discourage you from applying if you meet the above-listed qualifications, but don’t have these specific experiences.)
Experience with Huron-Click Portal Solutions
Experience in medical research administration, such as IRBs or Grants Management Systems.
Experience with other medical research software, for instance EPIC.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
You will manage large enterprise consulting software projects in a variety of technologies and specifically in the research administration domain. As part of your day to day, you will:
Work directly with end-users and customers to understand requirements, scope, and objectives
Leading presentations for clients; must be comfortable with ambiguity and able to lead meetings to uncover needs.
Translate functional goals to tasks that technical experts can work on
Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time and under budget
Negotiate project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders and validating technical feasibility
Develop project plans for larger efforts, enter developer tasks/specifications into issue tracking systems, and track progress
Manage client expectations and obtain appropriate approvals/signatures when managing changes in project scope, schedule and costs
Measure project performance using appropriate systems, tools and techniques
Work with the Bad Rabbit management team as challenges or risks arise
Manage relationships with clients and all stakeholders, while looking for opportunities to follow up on work
Create and maintain adequate project documentation; this requires excellent writing skills, as you will be producing client-facing proposals and presentations.
In this position, you will become an expert in Huron-Click Portal technology and Research Administration applications (IRB, IACUC, Grants, CTMS, Safety Committees)
ROLE EXPECTATIONS, ONE YEAR IN:
This position requires a great deal of leadership capability. Though it is rare that someone would have all of this knowledge right out of the gate, we are looking for someone with a successful track record displaying many of the abilities listed below who also has enough initiative and responsibility to learn the specifics of the research administration realm. A year into the role, we would expect competency in most, if not all, of the following:
• Ability to be Client/Account manager for 1 or more clients, and responsible for new business development for those accounts, leveraging relationships to lead to new sales opportunities. Responsible for forecasting and development of roadmaps.
• Helps set overall Services department strategy, and works to establish standards and procedures for approval, reporting, and other needs.
• Holds big picture vision of where BR fits in Research Administration and beyond; detailed analysis of business needs, and prioritization of projects based on alignment with and support of strategic objectives to ensure funding/team resources are focused in the right areas.
• Evaluation and work toward improvements in execution of projects/deliverables, and regular interaction with the leadership team to discuss overall direction/strategy
• Understanding of what’s happening in the marketplace and what changes are occurring in the industry.
• Decisions have a significant impact on Bad Rabbit's profitability and overall well-being. Competence extends well beyond project-level issues to company-level issues. • Knowledge of most software applications within the Research Administration (RA) domain.
• Deep understanding of the purpose and function of every RA functional domain, as well as the needs and usage patterns of researchers and research teams. • Experience, vision, and capability to lead integration of disparate enterprise systems data into single consolidated portals.
• Extensive experience in operating and leading implementation of multiple RA systems.
• Fundamental understanding of enterprise IT environments, data protection and security, integration techniques, web services, system authentication procedures, etc.
• Ability to work as a Software Engineer (level 3) if needed. • Takes responsibility for individual/system improvements and effectively participates in communicating initiatives to team members, HR, and Leadership
• Mastery of meeting the needs of others in terms of communication style/need at client and internal team levels
• Understanding and work toward individual professional goals of internal team members
This position will require traveling up to 50% of the time (though most of the time is expected to be less frequent at around 25 – 30%) throughout the United States and Canada to attend sales meetings, manage existing clients, and provide project management expertise.
FLEXIBILITY & REMOTE WORK
At Bad Rabbit, we pride ourselves on being a forward-thinking employer. Most of our team members work from home and set their own hours. However, this position is client-facing so it is expected that project managers will need to keep more regular business hours, and to average 40 hours per week. Outside of travel time, it is acceptable for employees to work remotely and set their own schedules.
For this position, working remotely is completely acceptable as appropriate, with an expectation of around 30% in-office time. It is mandatory that candidates are based within commuting distance to Portland, Oregon. (With some flexibility in regard to location for extremely well-qualified candidates.)
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
For a full list of benefits check out our Careers page, but at a glance:
Competitive compensation (above industry average)
Comprehensive benefits (Health & 401K)
Profit sharing scheme
Ability to work remotely or on site
Make sure you clearly fit the descriptions above (see “About You“). You must be authorized to work in the United States.
Include your resume or Linked In
Tell us why we are a great fit for each other
Tell us about a software project that you managed and shipped – what went wrong, what went right
Keep in mind we want to know who you are as a person; it never hurts to tell us about your hobbies or what you look forward to doing with your new, flexible, work-from- home lifestyle. For example, we’re dog people, and we appreciate a good sense of humor.
OUR HIRING PROCESS*
Resume and cover letter review — be sure to cover the requested topics listed above in your cover letter for the most efficient response time
30-minute phone screen
Two one-hour phone interviews
A one-hour call where we discuss our day-to-day, talk salary, logistics, and fit
A final in-person interview
*subject to modification based on individual circumstance
Please note: Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed. Please read the above information closely for cover letter requirements.